Weiner just ended his political career – at least for a while. Worth performance ever. He’ll be a laughingstock.
Or more specifically – why do I care?
I know lots of people could CARE LESS about this story. It’s stupid. It’s inconsequential. I’m obsessed.
Guess what? I look at hardcore football fans the same way. Or dedicated rock climbers. Or serious opera fans. Not my things.
But guess what? I don’t judge. Those people like those things because they like ‘em. Whatever. More power to them. Passion is good.
So, this is my current story. Why?
First – what I DON’T care about..
- · I don’t really care about the sex part.
- · I don’t have it in for Anthony Weiner. I agree with Weiner on a lot of issues. Didn’t know a heck of lot about him
- · I don’t care because I work with Breitbart. And the reasons HE cares are very close to mine. Anyone who knows him knows this is true. He’s not in ideologue. This is why we’re friends.
What I do care about…
1) It’s interesting being in a story early and watching how it expands and moves through the media. I don’t care what the story – it’s interesting to watch. I’ve had it happen a few times. It’s like watching dominoes fall but more random.
2) It’s interesting watching media bias. Who will cover? Why did they spin it that way?
3) It’s fun knowing more about a story than almost anyone in the world – being part of a relatively small group of insiders.
4) Watching politicians wriggle is always fun
5) It’s a puzzle! There are a lot of unanswered questions in this.
6) It’s a mystery playing out in real time. My Dad used to say he liked sports because they were unpredictable, unless movies (for example) where you knew the hero would win. News is unpredictable.
7) It’s a story that allows tangential posts about topics I’m interested in, like this one about sex scandals and the myth of partisanship.
8) Meeting people – it becomes a little story club. I’ve met some great people already.
They never learn. THEY. NEVER. LEARN.
A diary goes up asking the logical #Weinergate question…why is Weiner refusing to answer questions?
And greeted with comments like…
You have just been reported to admins. (22+ / 0-)
Eff off, jerk.
I ? President Barack Obama.
Basic question (7+ / 0-)
When Weiner is vindicated will you write a diary that unequivocally acknowledges that fact and repudiate your current diaries and comments?
Dude, you are a serious asshole. (3+ / 0-)
Fun Fact: I don’t actually even care if Wiener was sexting with another consenting adult.
Fuck off, now, on ya go!
So he says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf’s up space ponies! I’m makin’ gravy WITHOUT THE LUMPS! HAAA-ha-ha-ha!!!
maybe the reason he doesn’t answer (4+ / 0-)
is because that dignifying something like that with a response would imply that it’s ok to ask questions like that in the first place (thanks joan allen!)
in other news, i think i’ll have chinese food for lunch today and my old dog stella is walking a lot better than she was yesterday.
hope springs eternal and DAMN is she getting tired!
Might I humbly suggest to the diarist (5+ / 0-)
that he masturbate using a pair of scissors.
Kos tweeted about this story yesterday (8+ / 0-)
He said something like it was better (for him) to wait to see what comes out factually before blogging about it.
According to Reuters, and contrary to what the diarist is saying (and BTW, I agree with the diarist that hacking and harassment are not laughing matters), Congressman Weiner has made comments to the press. He’s not ducking, he’s hired an attorney to investigate the tweet, and Congressman Weiner said:
"Look, this is a prank, not a terribly creative one and it’s a distraction," Weiner said on NY1 TV.
And that is why he’s not saying anything more (at the moment). The economy, jobs creation, war spending, global warming, these all trump him commenting now about the tweet. Get it?
Failure to Publicize Acts of Hatred Only Allows Them to Fester and Metastasize.
I think Breitbart is due for an epic take down (7+ / 0-)
Jon Stewart style…..
a la Glenn Beck and Jim Cramer.
Jon and Anthony were college roommates.
If cats could blog, they wouldn’t
Many people have how coule @RepWeiner do something so stupid? It may not be stupid…
It may be a tech issue.
This from the comments at Patterico…
You ask how it could be done accidentally, and actually it’s quite simple. Direct messages, especially longer ones, are often split by the cell phone provider… the first part of the message will go to the recipient as a direct message, the second part will be treated as an @recipient and posted to the general twitter feed.
Thus if the good representative had added a bit of copy to explain the photo.. like what a great deal he got at Target when he went shopping, and added the yfrog link at the end his provider could have split off the link and it would have continued on as a general post.
Comment by Hunt — 5/31/2011 @ 11:48 am
How to Send a Private Message From Your Phone:
In addition to sending direct messages from the web, you can also send direct messages from your phone and most 3rd party applications.
- Open a text message window to your Twitter short code, or logging in to your application
- Begin your message with a letter "d" and the username of the follower your wish to message, like this: d olivia
- Type your message, being careful not to exceed 140 characters. (Example: d Support Hey support! Thanks for your help.)
- Send the message
Note: If your message is longer than 140 characters and Twitter receives it intact, we will send your message in two parts for you. But, beware: if your service provider breaks up long messages into two parts before sending the message to Twitter, we will only see the d+username attached to the first message! The second part will post to the public time line as a regular update because it doesn’t have the d+username preceding it.
Huge h/t to @Romanflute and Hunt!!
For a prime example of the whiplash stoopid that the left is going through on the Weinergate story, look no further than Charles Johnson. This is verbatim from the Breitbart-hater’s website.
He does a long section about the DailyKos theory #1 about the fake screen grab…and then, right in the middle of it, Johnson squats and drops this…
(Update: there was no hacking involved. The photo was never posted to Weiner’s account. Someone may have photoshopped a screenshot of a yfrog page to make it look like it came from Weiner’s page.)
(Update 2: the story changes again – apparently Weiner’s yfrog account really was cracked, and the image was posted there.)
The story changes again?!?!?
YOUR story. YOUR STORY CHANGED but you threw in that phrase to make it seem like someone else’s did.W-T-F?